CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA
After the Ottoman conquest of Rhodes in 1522 AD, the Church of Panagia of Niki, which was located within the Medieval City, was destroyed. The Franciscans left the island together with the Knighs of Saint John.
In 1719 the Apostolic temple of the Franciscans of Constantinople re-established its mission in Rhodes, by building in 1743 the new church of Panagia of Niki (Victory), which is more widely known as Sancta Maria, where a marble icon of Panagia was transferred, which was found in 1693 in the old church. It is situated in the central area of Neochori.
From 1851 it expanded and included the monastery of the Franciscans of Custodia of the Holy Land, and it became the main Catholic Church of Rhodes.
1. Click the «Get Directions» button below . Enter the home position in «A:» . The destination position «B:» is already completed.
2. Click on ‘GET DIRECTION’ button.
To change the transportation mode, click on the corresponding icon for transport by car, public transport, cycling, hiking, or plane.