AGIOI APOSTOLOI AND THE COMPLEX OF PALAIO SYSSITIO (IMARET)
A three-aisled 14th or 15th century AD church, dedicated to the Catholic doctrine was located in the area of Palaio Syssitio. It was possibly destroyed during the first siege of Rhodes in 1480 AD and the strong earthquake that followed in 1481 AD. A single-space church of small dimensions was built on the ruins of the original temple. After Rhodes was sieged by the Ottomans in 1522, Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent built a poorhouse (“imaret”) at the site of the church, which bears his name. Additional spaces were built to serve the needs of the charity institution, which served as storage rooms and cook-rooms. The church was subject to modifications and the arch of the sanctuary was converted into an oven.
Today the monumental ensemble has been fully restored by the Ministry of Culture with new uses involving hosting temporary artistic exhibitions and a municipal refreshment shop at the site of the cook-room.
1. Click the «Get Directions» button below . Enter the home position in «A:» . The destination position «B:» is already completed.
2. Click on ‘GET DIRECTION’ button.
To change the transportation mode, click on the corresponding icon for transport by car, public transport, cycling, hiking, or plane.