It is built at the area of Malona, on a 85-meter high hill, between the beaches of Agia Agathi and Charaki.
It is also known as Feraklou or Faraklenon Castle.
The conquest of the castle by the Knights of Saint John with the Grand Master Foulques de Villaret on 20 September 1306 is the first conquest of a castle in Rhodes by knights.
There are two construction phases: Byzantine and Knights’ construction phase.
The fortification has a polygonal shape, and battlements of a simple rectangular shape. A main gate and two cylindrical towers of the 15th century are still preserved.
On the walls one can still see coats of arms of the Order of the Knights of Saint John and the Grand Master G. B. degli Orsini.
Faraklos Castle had visual contact with the castle of Lindos. According to Bosio, in 1470 it was ordered that all the castles of Rhodes be abandoned, except for the castles of Lindos and Faraklos, the fortifications of which had to be reinforced. The residents of the neighboring villages Malona, Salia, Katagros, Zinodotou and Kaminari would resort to Faraklos Castle whenever they faced any risk, as it is demonstrated in the 1474 decree.
1. Click the «Get Directions» button below . Enter the home position in «A:» . The destination position «B:» is already completed.
2. Click on ‘GET DIRECTION’ button.
To change the transportation mode, click on the corresponding icon for transport by car, public transport, cycling, hiking, or plane.